Last year I wove a length of fabric to make a skirt out of. It’s taken me nearly a year to get around to the sewing up the skirt. The trouble with making clothing from my hand weaving is I’m not as keen on the sewing as I am on the weaving.
The fabric is woven with Bendigo 3ply classic with a grey boucle yarn placed every 5cm.
My original idea was to make deep folds in the front and back, but that made the skirt a little too bulky.
So I reduced the depth of the folds. I liked the improvement, but then I remembered that when I brought the project to the Sewing with Handwovens class someone suggested box pleats. Lots of pinning later I had changed the folds to box pleats and decided I was happy with the look. I got sewing and finished the skirt:
I like it! It has a bit more flare than an a-line skirt, but isn’t too sticky-outy (for want of a technical term).
Now I just need to weave the jacket I planned to make to complete the outfit. Hopefully that won’t take a year!