Viking Hat


I started nalbinding this hat while in Denmark last September. It taught me one thing about nalbinding: the foundation ‘row’ needs to be maybe 10% longer than the final size because the fabric tightens up and gets narrower as you work.

Initially I made it the size of my head, but it kept getting tighter and tighter – and yet it was staying square (it wasn’t turning into a cone). Eventually I added eight or so stitches around it, then pulled apart all the previous work. The final hat fits…


… but it is a bit tight. I’ll be looking for someone with a smaller head to give it to. Or maybe I’ll keep it as an example, if I end up teaching a nalbinding class.