A few days ago, after looking through the refashioning pile, I bought a shorts pattern from Interweave and hauled out the sewing machine. First up I did a test pair using fabric scraps. It confirmed that a US large is bigger than an Aussie large, and the shorts were a tad, well, short for my liking. After a tweak here and there later I was ready to try a refashioning project.
I had this shirt, which I’d bought in the 90s and loved the colour and soft fabric, but it was pretty shapeless:
I only just managed to get the pieces cut out, and only by patching one corner of a front.
Instead of the drawstring the pattern calls for, I went for an elastic waist. I reused the pocket, too:
They’re cool and comfortable and perfect for relaxing at home. I want to make the next pair from an old sarong, this time with longer legs.
I have a little test for the ‘right’ length of shorts. They should never be wider than they are long. If they’re longer than they are wide there’s a slightly slimming illusion. Even more so if the fabric has a vertical stripe or pattern, or they are darker than the top they’re worn with.