Before I even saw Playing With Books, I’d come up with the idea of turning some of my excess foreign edition books into bags. In particular, these Russian editions, which have wonderfully cheesy covers:
(BTW, there are no chain-mail-bikini wearing women or Nordic-looking warriors in my books.)
I found a few tutorials on the net. All, as well as the instructions in Playing With Books, have you use a hardcover book cover as the body of the bag. This means the width of the book defines the size of the bag and how much you can fit into it. I had other ideas:
I pictured the cover becoming the back and flap of the bag. This meant that the the bag could be wider than the spine at the base, and I’d gain a bit more space inside. It also meant the bag would be a bit more secure. I’ve always referred to bags that are open at the top as ‘pick-pocket’s delights’.
I found some fabric for the lining and exterior – both which I’d conveniently already made some book cloth out of. And card to stiffen the bag and elastic for the sides:
Cutting the pages out was easy:
I cut two cardboard panels the size of the book and a base that looked ‘about right’:
Then I cut out fabric and lining, adding some pockets:
A bit of glueing and sewing later, and I’d got to this point:
When I had to stop, because I needed to buy a closure and a handle before I could continue. These I now have:
I’m just waiting until I have the time to put everything together. Then I have the perfect event to wear it to, this coming September.