I’ve been working on the Mystery Box Challenge project since I picked up the box in mid-January. As soon as I opened the box and inspected the contents…
… they seemed to suggest to me a kind of rustic fairy doll – or rather, a figurine, since this wouldn’t survive being played with – with feathers for wings and red hair.
The challenge was to use at least 50% of the contents of the box. I thought I could use everything – including the box.
I’ve been working on it nearly every week. It has involved a lot of weaving shapes by sticking pins in foam core, winding yarn between them for warp then sewing in the weft – like with the sleeve here:
The shawl was my first try at frame weaving. Rather nifty process, actually:
The copper wire and beads became a crown. The wire was VERY fiddly to weave. I used string heddles:
The playing card became a book, with the entry form as pages and the silver thread as binding:
Everything I didn’t use became stuffing, mixed with some felting fleece:
The box became the chair:
The tubes the yarn was wound onto were rolled up squares of paper, so I unwound an stuck them over the back of the box, covering the box handle, which I’d taped onto the back to give it rigidity.
The upholstery was woven directly onto the chair, and the chair painted with acrylic paints:
I managed to use up all the brown wool. The last item I made was a little mat. Boy, was I sick of weaving this way by the end!:
The feathers became wings, attached with more copper wire. The smaller feather became a pen:
The eyes and mouth were stitched out of some of the silk threads.
However, the face is, well, not brilliant. The wool made for a very rustic fabric, which I think I got away with except in the case of the head. But these were the materials I had, and I was determined not to add anything obviously new – stuffing, tape and paint didn’t add significantly new objects to the figurine.
What is very obviously new is the bird cage I put her in to deter small people who might believe she is a doll to be played with:
The cage is the only thing that doesn’t quite meet the requirements. There is a size restriction and the cage is a little bigger.
All in all… well, it was a lot of effort and I enjoyed maybe 60-70% of it. But I had to dedicate two afternoons of the weekend before last to finishing her and I was utterly sick of the project by the end. Dolls/figurines weren’t my thing before this and they still aren’t. Still, I was trying something new and I did use all the materials!
If I learned anything (apart from not getting sucked into mystery challenges) is was that frame weaving is something I might want to have a go at. Oh, and not to weave with copper wire.